So I spent this week stacking cards. Well not entirely, but it actually did take out a laughably big portion of my day- I think it was my favorite day so far.
No but on a serious note this has been a solid week for me, I produced a fully functioning detailed blockout of the forest area, which included collapsible cards and a leaf falling puzzle. I also did quick blueprints for a double jump and bouncing mushrooms. They were both easier than I would have suspected- or maybe I'm just getting better at engine. Huh.
Regardless, I made a huge amount of white box assets to basically map out the entire scene and all the unique assets we'll need to make it. This feels like a big jump in progression of the forest area and it means that forest assets can now be divided out and distributed. The forest has different areas of light and dark, you walk into a well lit open areas with sun rays lighting the character that contrasy from th incredibly dark and claustrophobic atmosphere of the cave. But as you travel thorugh the level, you also venture through shady and imposing sections- like the gnarled tree roots that block out the sun, as you climb up the tree and back into the light. As well as this there is verticality as you scale different areas then fall back down again to keep the path interesting and the player thinking, as well as areas of backtracking- from the teapot back through the log to the tree, which is now scaleable.
I made a temporary stand in test of the leaf puzzle that basically functions as it should, to make sure it was possible to maintain a path that varies as different speeds of leaves reset at different heights. This meant doing a lot of individual matinees and lots of testing to make sure they always worked. Unfortunately since matinees aren't copy and paste-able, when we get a final model for the leaf it's likely that I'll need to redo them again. Which is fine, since they way it's currently structured isn't particularly tidy- it basically just works, but there's no finesse or leaf like motion to it.